Monday, July 28, 2008

Beer and Tacos

I recently tried two new Vegas taco joints, and two new beers(well, three, but I can't recall the name of the Bavarian dark, apparently it's from the CA Bay Area).

Pepe's: Located at the corner of Charleston and Fremont, this is a quick and cheap taco joint. They have a good selection of soft tacos and one glance at the options makes it apparent that they are obviously not catering to American tastes, and the food is all the better for it. The soft tacos are small, but full of meat, and the basic salsa has a nice heat. The Carne Asada is flavourful and the pork is quite good as well. I have to say this is the only Mexican place I've tried in Vegas that has not left me disappointed(and considering I didn't expect much from the others, that's saying a lot).

Yayo Taco: A neo-fusion taco joint, it's trying to cater to the UNLV students with it's kitschy and relaxed atmosphere. It has an excellent beer and tequila section, but I recommend you stay away from the tacos. I tried a chicken curry taco and it barely had any flavour, the carne asada tacos weren't much better. The service is pretty good and the owner is friendly. Good for hanging with friends over beers, but not really a place to grab a quick meal.

Drake Imperial Stout: Smooth, with a slight bitter note, it's a bit too sweet for my tastes when it comes to a stout. It also feels a little thin for a stout. Not bad, I would still go for a Rasputin Imperial Stout over this.

Kwak: A friend bought this for the bottle and I helped her drink it. It's light and has a slight weird aftertaste that gets stronger and stronger with each drink, making this beer less and less appealing the more you drink it. There's not much to it, and considering all the other similar beers out there, I'd avoid this one.

No comments: