Saturday, September 29, 2007

A Disparate Confluence of Many Things

OK, this review post is going to cover a range of things so no theme.

First and foremost the matter of Apples. Apple season is starting and we are being blessed/cursed with a sudden explosion of apples in both quantity and variety. This is a curse because that means confusion and sorrow for so many. Different people like different attributes in their apples but there are some apples that just aren't for unadultered consumption that are sold for such. This apple boon is a blessing because it means rarely seen apple varieties are finally available. Stay away, far away, from the mealy apples(average red apple I'm looking at you) during apple season. These are acceptable when they're the only thing that's available all throughout the rest of the year, but now that there are choices, don't waste your money and mouth. For my money the best apple to buy is one that I've only been able to find during apple season. The oft unheard of Jonagold. This is the perfect balance of firm flesh and mealiness. You get the nice snap when you bite into it, but it doesn't feel like a block is in your mouth like a Granny Smith does. It's a sweeter apple so it's perfect for kids. I've gotten bags and bags of Jonagolds as kitchen manager for outdoors events where I've had to appeal to and feed 150+ people and there's always people asking if they can have more while the Granny Smith and Red Delicious apples go to rot. I've had people come up afterwards and say how impressed they were with the apple. As a child I was forced to eat an apple a day and as a result can barely stand the sight of apple products now. I seek out and buy the Jonagolds. The Jonagolds look like Fuji or Gala apples so be sure to read the labels to make sure you're getting the Jonagold. You won't be disappointed.

I just watched the movie "Knocked Up" and must preface this review with the statement that I can't stand most chick flicks, and all comedy aside, this was a chick flick. That being said, I didn't think that much of the movie. Yes, parts were funny, and Heigl is pretty to look at, but really about 30 minutes in I was done. It started as a comedy and devolved into chick flick and I lost interest. I didn't need to watch the movie to know how it was going to end. I didn't need to see the gratuitous "comedic" nudity. Really, they best parts of the movie for me was seeing one of the "Firefly" actors telling Heigl's character to "tighten" with his associated hand movements.

Final review of this post: The Tap House. Another Vegas hole in the wall, it has won awards in years past for both it's Pizza and it's Chicken Wings. So, I tried both. I had the meat lovers pizza which was good but really not outstanding. It was well balanced if a little short of meat for a meat lovers. There was nothing bad about it, it just didn't outshine other pizzas. Now the Twice Baked Cajun Wings were a different story. Wow. I was already full from the pizza but I couldn't stop eating the wings. They were spectacular. They weren't too hot but had a nice heat that lingered for a while. They were meaty not thin, they were just a bit salty and I love salt, they were flavourful, they were just wow. This is what a hot wing should be. Not some poor overly deep fried scrawny little nothing dripping with bottled hot sauce. Because really, most hot wings taste the same because the restaurants are pulling from the same 3 supply companies and buying the same 5 bottles of sauce. As for the restaurant itself, it's a standalone rundown looking building with a darkened interior and a bit of Italian flair to it's standard pub decor. The service is pretty good and the food doesn't take too long to show up. Just remember, order the wings.

No comments: