Thursday, May 24, 2007

SoCal Eats Again

Yes yes, more restaurant reviews, but hey, I like food.

White Harte Pub - Finally, finally, a British pub I can love. They even have an outdoor space for people who want to smoke. Everywhere are TVs playing the current football(soccer) game. Service is friendly and the menu, while limited, is good. The fish and chips were good, and the curry dipping sauce was a very nice surprise. I will definitely go back when I'm in the area.

Miss Peaches - The only Soul Food restaurant I could find in the Burbank area, it has it's regulars but I think it's due more to the atmosphere and lack of competition than the quality of the food. The first thing I have to say about Miss Peaches is stay away from the Mac and Cheese. Don't even think about it, I don't care how much you love it, I don't care if you're used to the box stuff, don't order it. Box mac and cheese is heads and shoulders above the stuff at Miss Peaches. That's how bad it is. The cornbread and hushpuppies are good, and the hushpuppies have a nice heat to them. The collard greens seemed to be popular with the people who were obviously regulars but I don't eat them, so I didn't order them, so I can't speak to the quality. I got the smothered pork chop or rice and they brought out smothered chicken on rice. I took a bite before I realized it wasn't what I ordered and it was good, but again, not what I ordered. Oh, and the rice was cold. They fixed the mistake quickly and I dug into the pork chop. The chop was tough and over cooked. The rice this time was room temperature but still, rice is meant to be warm or hot. The gravy on the rice and pork chop was good, but couldn't save the dish overall. I do have to say one of the big pluses of the place was the service. They weren't the fastest, but everyone was extremely friendly and responsive. They had some of the best service I've had at a restaurant, or anywhere, in quite a while. Ultimately, I'll go back to Aunt Rosalee's for my sould food if I can.

Corrals - This is one of the few 24hr places in Burbank and that's a definite plus. The place looks like an old school diner along the lines of Denny's or IHOP, but the menu was a pleasant surprise. There were the diner standards along with gyros, pizza, and the like. They also had a very posh looking selection of desserts in their dessert case. I'm talking tiramisu and mocha cream cakes and other artery clogging delights normally associated with high end bakeries. Thankfully I only noticed them on the way out, otherwise I would weigh a few more pounds now. The chocolate shake is really, really good. I think they add a little chocolate malted to the mix because there was something else enhancing the shake and not just straight chocolate ice cream. I didn't order any food, but the people I was with all cleaned their plates so I'm guessing it's not too shabby. I will probably be going again in a couple weeks and will have a better report on the food then.

No comments: