Monday, April 2, 2007

Palm Springs Selections

I spent some time this weekend in Palm Springs CA and, of course, ate out.

Bongo Johnny's
I had the western burger with a side of fries. The service was good and they were very prompt. The burger and fries were good but didn't really stand out. The thing really going for the burger was that the bacon was the thick sliced stuff and there was plenty of it.

Village Pub
Completely unrelated to the Village Pub in Vegas, but still good. Good crowd, good music, good TV, good drinks. I snacked on the Calamari and really enjoyed it. It's one of the light battered versions that I prefer and was very tasty. They served it with marinara, which is a little non-standard, but really the marinara wasn't good enough to justify dipping the calamari in it. It wasn't bad, it just tasted like something out of a bottle.

Don and Sweet Sue's Cafe
I needed food before my drive out and stopped here because it was the first cafe I found. It was a good decision. This is one of those local institution kind of places. There were people that were obviously regulars and everything was very homey. The service was great and very prompt. I had the buttermilk pancakes and breakfast sausage. Really good pancakes. Really good. IHOP can kiss it, so can all those other chain breakfast joints, these were the real thing. I will definitely be getting my breakfast here when I go to Palm Springs again.

No comments: